Sunday, August 10, 2008

August: Birthdays, a Good Book, and Triton

It's hard to believe this is my first post in August. I've had a wonderful and busy month so far. August 1st was my daughter's 8th birthday, and the 5th was my 40th birthday!

Also, I've been engrossed in an incredible book: "Miracle in the Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home" by Nando Parrado. This is the story of the plane that crashed in 1972 in the high Andes, carrying a Uruguayan rugby team and their friends and families. The event is probably most memorable for the fact that the survivors of the crash had nothing to eat for two months besides the crash victims. Nando Parrado is one of the survivors of the crash, and the book is his account of the event and his 10-day trek out of the Andes to find help. I was only 4 years old in 1972, but I remember my father telling me about this story. It's very moving. Anyone who has read Nando's book or the other book about the event, "Alive" by Piers Paul Read can probably understand why this story has taken over my consciousness for the past few weeks.

Amidst all of this I've been continuing to make a lot of Triton beads. I'm totally obsessed with Triton! When I sit down for a torch session, all I want to make are these sets:

Triton Mixed SetTriton Mixed Set

This is a set of Triton rondelles:

Triton Rondelle Beads

A set of Triton disks:

Triton Disk Beads

As you can see I'm obsessed with Triton. I love making the mixed sets. I've made so many mixed sets lately that I forgot how to make the thin spiral disks! It took me 3 days of practice before I was able to get one decent disk again!

No comments: