Monday, September 27, 2010

Fall is Organic Bead Time

Good morning, good afternoon, happy Monday bead peeps! Fall is my favorite time of year for beadmaking. Not only is the studio cooler, but I get to bring out all my favorite brown, tan, and dirt colors and mix them all together into earth toned glassy goodness!

For starters, I have this bead set made with Effetre Dark Fossil and Double Helix reducing glass, available in my Etsy shop:Effetre Dark Fossil Organic BeadsA fellow beadmaker suggested I try Fossil with silver glass, so I bought a 1/4 pound to try out the color. WoW, I love it! I will need to go back and order at least a pound of this, it's going to be one of my favorite glasses for organics.

I've also been working on a series of organic big hole beads, which I've silver cored and capped with my own handmade sterling silver bead caps. A couple of them are shown in this recent blog post, and here are a few more:
This one has gold leaf in the mix and hammered bead caps:
Organic Bead with Sterling CapsThis one also has gold leaf and a paisley or wave pattern:Organic Bead with Gold LeafThis one is my pièce de résistance - a bead with double caps! It started out as an experiment, I wasn't really sure I could do a double cap on this size bead, and it took a lot of time to get the bead caps to line up just right... but I had a blast making it and I'll probably do some more in the future. I recently bought some design stamps for my new line of charm necklaces, so I used one of the stamps to decorate the outer caps. The inner caps have a hammered texture:Organic Silver Cored Bead with Double CapsI think it's going to be a good week!
Many thanks to all the folks who've started following me on Twitter. I'm still trying to figure out how the whole thing works! I'm looking forward to the new Twitter layout they're rolling out over the next few weeks. Lately I've been tweeting every day, maybe a couple times a day. Click the link in the right side bar to see my Twitter profile and follow me! Thanks!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVING the DH on Fossil AND the double capped bead. Fantastic work!!

Cindy ~ said...

Got to add to your addiction... have you thought of making your own caps from fine silver clay? I've been playing with them for my fine silver addiction and love that I can use any texture I want, cut out lots of little circles, fire them flat and then pound the livin daylights out of them (ok maybe not that hard) w/ my dapping set to make them as I need them! ;o)

Just wondering!

LOVE LOVE Love the double cap. I'm working on a set of these in fine silver - I was stoked to see that you have done them here when I popped over. Love the organics!!

Karolen said...

Kelley and Cindy, thanks!
I have never tried metal clay... but I'll definitely have to get some!