Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Pancake Beads

Each time I turn on the kiln and begin a session at the torch, the first bead I make is what I call a Pancake Bead. 9 times out of 10 it's a total flop, just like the first pancake to be poured into the pan. Knowing this, I usually make my first bead a color or shape experiment, or I'll try out a design I've been thinking about.

Sometimes, like yesterday, the number of days away from the torch dictates how many pancakes it will take before a decent bead emerges. So yesterday I had four pancakes in the kiln as my first four beads. I almost gave up for the day discouraged, but I kept at it and broke through the pancake phase. I ended up getting a few really gorgeous beads that I'm happy with.

Back to the torch! ...praying for crepes....

No comments: